Why release the charges against both of them at the same time?
To put it mildly, it was a bit of a shock to open up the Drudge Report this morning and see the banner headline that the Department of Justice pulled the FBI off of an an investigation that targeted Harry Reid.
Not many people knew he was under investigation.
Read the story a little farther and of course it’s not just Harry Reid that the Department of Justice is not investigating, but Senator Mike Lee for possibly providing inaccurate information on the short sale of property to a campaign contributor and federal contractor, something that is not illegal.
WTF? Of all the dirty dealing in politics THIS is what the FBI was probing? Yes, I know this was at the request of prosecutors in Utah, but not accurately reporting short selling a house?
At first blush, the political right may well say, If there’s any wrong doing, Lee needs to go. And Reid needs to go just because he needs to go. No arguments here, but before throwing too many stones through the glass house, consider:
- This information came out on a Friday, which is the typical dumping day for information that is meant to either be buried OR (and this is more likely) be the cover for something else. Such stuff festers all weekend.
- First impressions in politics last regardless of the whole truth and whether or not people clear their names. There are countless examples just from the current Crimea affair that demonstrate this.
- The GOP establishment has not been shy about wanting to shut down the TEA Party and Mike Lee is one of the four known TEA leadership assets in the senate along with Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul. He is also the softest target of the four.
- Not many people know much about Utah politics. Being Mormons, the impression is that the place should be squeaky clean, but according to comments on a HotAir story, this is not the case.
- Most importantly, though, a VERY, VERY serious charge against Harry Reid not covered in these probes was made again yesterday. One that, if true, could be more than a little damaging to multiple political careers. (There are multiple sources, but all are anonymous. As any good editor knows, those are dangerous.) Although, the fact that the charge came out at all could explain the sudden uptick in attacks on the victims of ObamaCare and the Koch Brothers.
In the Washington Times article, there’s quite a bit more information on the charges against Harry Reid that ARE under investigation – quid pro quo and changing a vote on online gambling. There’s some kind of there there, and it’s the sort of thing that one would expect from corrupt officials.
The headlines and this:
The probe, conducted by one Republican and one Democratic state prosecutor in Utah, has received accusations from an indicted businessman and political donor, interviewed other witnesses and gathered preliminary evidence such as financial records, Congressional Record statements and photographs that corroborate some aspects of the accusations, officials have told The Washington Times and ABC News.
But the Justice Department’s public integrity section — which normally handles corruption cases involving elected figures — rejected FBI agents’ bid to use a federal grand jury and subpoenas to determine whether the accusations are true and whether any federal crimes were committed by state and federal officials.
just seem strange when there is an administration hell bent on shredding not just the country’s founding documents, but the entire Republican Party. In that context, NOT investigating Harry Reid is one thing. But, why refuse to investigate Lee?
Something doesn’t add up.
This whole episode smells. Someone, somewhere decides to go after Mike Lee because he sold a house to a friend who happens to be a federal contractor at a loss to his mortgage bank THAT THE BANK HAD TO APPROVE? What’s illegal about that?
Harry Reid was trading political favors for fundraising…so what’s new?
Throw in the details regarding Utah’s Attorney General, and there’s a huge knot of crap and basic corruption. The governors in Illinois have done far worse.
Yes, an investigation needs to happen on all of these charges, but why release the information in this manner AT THIS TIME. That Eric Holder’s Justice Department is refusing to look into BOTH sets of charges, not just the ones against Reid, raises a HUGE red flag. (Jeez, the Regime is going after conservatives any way they can. Why not take advantage of this golden opportunity?)
It’s easy to assume that Lee is being thrown out there to throw the scent off Reid, killing a few birds with one story, but it seems like there’s something more.
Is Lee the first of the four horsemen of the TEA-pocalypse to be picked off?
Is Harry Reid REALLY guilty of something far, far worse than political corruption and is this a red herring?
Stay tuned. Any, all or none of the above may be true.